In continuation of our Celebration of Cheese and Carbs series we decided that Mac & Cheese just had to be done. Why? Because it worked with our 3 rules for DIY Thursday – It’s simple and easy and … ha ha cheesy.
DIY Thursday Mac & Cheese
1 bag of Pasta Noodles – Something along the lines of a Macaroni shape is good
1 large onion chopped
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/4 cup all purpose flour
4 cups of milk
10 ounces extra sharp cheddar
1 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 package of fully cooked kielbasa sliced into 1/4 inch coins
3 apples of your preference cubed
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cook pasta noodles al dente – firm but tender – and drain liquid
3. Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan and add onions. Cook until soft.
4. Add in flour, cook for 1 minute
5. Gradually add in milk and bring to a boil – stir continuously
6. Remove from heat once thickened
7. Stir in hot sauce, salt into in the milk mixture.
8. Stir in 2 cups of cheese (reserving final cup of cheese for casserole topping)
9. Toss milk mixture, kielbasa, apples and noodles together and add to oven safe baking dish. Cover.
10. Bake Covered for 30 min.
11. Remove from oven, stir and add final cup of cheese sprinkled on top.
12. Bake another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
13. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.